Recommended Reading for Cuba|
Want to know more about photography in and on Cuba before you sally forth?
Here are some reading suggestions.
- Giles Mora. Walker Evans: Havana 1933. Pantheon; October 25, 1989. First American edition.
- Christophe Loviny; Alessandra Silvestri-Levy; Alberto Korda (Photographer). Cuba by Korda. Ocean Books; 1997 & 2006. Alberto Korda [born Alberto Diaz Gutierrez] took the iconic photo of Che that we all know.
- Hans Engels (photos); Beth Dunlop (intro); Maria Elena Martin Zequeira (contributor). Havana: The Photography of Hans Engels. Prestel Pub; September 1, 1999. First edition.
- Tim B. Wride. Shifting Tides: Cuban Photography After the Revolution. Merrell Pub Ltd; May 1, 2001.
- E. Wright Ledbetter (photos); Louis A Perez, Jr.; Ambrosio Fornet. Cuba: Picturing Change. University of New Mexico Press; August 28, 2002. First edition.
- Terry McCoy, William Kennedy (intro), Arthur Miller. Cuba on the Verge: An Island in Transition. Bullfinch; May 20, 2003.
- Ernesto Che Guevara [and his family]. Che Guevara. Beyond the Icon. His Own Words. His Own Photographs. His Family Archives.. Ocean Books; 2006.
- Alex Harris. The Idea of Cuba. University of New Mexico Press; July 16, 2007. First edition.
- O[rlando] H. Garrido; A[rturo] Kirkconnell; Roman F Company (illustrator). Birds of Cuba. London: Christopher Helm; 2008.
- Peter Moruzzi. Havana Before Castro: When Cuba Was a Tropical Playground. Gibbs Smith; August 1, 2008. First edition.
- Jeffrey Milstein; Nilo Cruz (intro). Cuba: Photographs by Jeffrey Milstein. The Monacelli Press; April 20, 2010. First edition.
- Rafael Acosta de Arriba. The Allure of a Gaze. Ediciones Polymita; 2013.
- Zoila Lapique; Julio Larramendi. La Habana: Imagen de una Ciudad Colonial. Ediciones Polymita; 2013. "... a journey through the graphical representation of the capital of Cuba from its origins to the present, with a solid and friendly text of this prestigious Cuban intellectual Larramendi and an essay on the origins of photography in Cuba, including engravings Mihale, paintings and photographs from the emergence of this medium."
- Nils Navarro . Endemic Birds of Cuba: A Comprehensive Field Guide. Ediciones Nuevos Mundos; 2015. First edition. "introduction to the habitats, conservation issues in Cuba, and even information on Cuba unrelated to ecology."
- Marius Jovaisa. Unseen Cuba. Unseen Pictures Ltd.; 2015.
- Cynthia Carris Alonso. Passage to Cuba: An Up-Close Look at the World's Most Colorful Culture. Skyhorse; June 23, 2015.
- Burt Glinn. Cuba 1959. Reel Art Press; November 2015.
- Madeleine P. Plonsker. The Light in Cuban Eyes: Lake Forest College's Madeleine P. Plonsker Collection of Contemporary Cuban Photography. Lake Forest College Press; March 15, 2015. First edition.
- Madeleine P. Plonsker, Preface. Under the Cuban Sun. . Throckmorton Fina Art; 2016..
- Lorne Resznick. Cuba: This Moment, Exactly So. Insight Editions; June 13, 2017.
- Silvana Paternostro (author); Tria Giovan (photographer). Tria Giovan: The Cuba Archive: Photography from 1990s Cuba. Damiani; November 7, 2017.
- Ramiro Fernández; Richard Blanco (intro). Cuba Then: Revised and Expanded. The Monacelli Press; Revised, Expanded edition, May 29, 2018. First published as Cuba Then in 2014